Thursday, May 15

Ask


There are times when I don't get the answers to prayer that I want. The difference in my heart now (and I know this is only because of the Holy Spirit's kneading and tendering my heart) is that I trust Him more. If He says no, I can believe He has a reason, or as I learned from Beth Moore, "a greater yes." Even if it's not the yes I wanted, I have seen enough miracles happen in my life to know that, if I am patient (sort-of!) and surrendered, I may eventually see the reason. Not always, but sometimes. And the reasons I don't see now, I will see one day.

I imagine it like this: I am looking at a huge painting, only it is covered by a screen or cloth of some kind. One day, when I know as I am known, I picture Jesus pulling back the screen, and I will say, "Oh." Nothing will need to be explained. I will know, and every unanswered question will make perfect sense.

A missionary friend spoke at church Sunday and gave one of the best illustrations I've heard about how we don't "get" God. Picture an ant looking at a person. All he can see is the human's shoe, and he keeps saying, "Wow! You are big. You are REALLY huge!" The human says, "Well, yes, I'm big, but there's a lot more than that! I'm more than just a big foot." That is how I look at God...I know He's big, but I don't get HOW big, and how much more there is to Him, how complex and amazing He is.

But another wonderful thing I've learned about God is this: He is so gentle with me. Even though He doesn't have to, He answers little and big prayers for me. This happened several times this week, and it built my faith at a time when I sorely needed it! Our new (new to us!) car died in the middle of Parque Central, and I was sitting in it, alone, with three kiddos. Only God gave me the Spirit-filling to thank Him, aloud, and mean it. We did. Then we told the enemy that it was a nice try, but it wasn't going to work on us! We wanted to learn whatever God had for us. After an interesting interval that included the police coming, telling us to MOVE! ("Mi carro es muerte!"), Steve and bystanders pushing it, more bystanders giving advice, interesting bystanders asking for money, and Nancy very kindly getting the kids and me home, Steve and Antonio (he works at the church) towed the carro muerte (translation: dead car) home. The next day, Steve was able to replace the battery, and the dead was raised to life! Praise for a simple fix!

The very next day, God provided a sweet, romantic evening for Steve and I...much needed. We walked around town, explored, found some cool shops, and stumbled upon a lovely restaurant. It was part cafe, part French bakery, and Steve even got me to admit, without choking on my croissant, that their cafe mochas blew Starbucks away. Not to mention the fact that our little table, complete with flowers and candles, was directly under a photo of Scarlett and Rhett! Go figure! A Guatemalan/French/Southern date. God is too good to me!

The last answers came today. Some things pressing on my heart, things I had been praying hard for were answered almost before I finished praying, literally more than I could ask or imagine. Way more. I could almost cry thinking about it. I just might.

John 14:13-15 You can ask for anything in my name, and I will do it, so that the Son can bring glory to the Father. Yes, ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

*And just to show God's sense of humor, the photo shows the back of the van that stopped to help jump our car. It's for a funeral home. Too much!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are an amazing writer and thank you for the sweet illustrations of God. i loved it. miss you and love you mr. John's wife

denisemouse said...

Wow! This post is such an encouragement to me. I really needed to hear this and be reminded of God's tender loving care, even during stressful times.
We love hearing about all your adventures and blessings. We miss you, but rejoice in how God is using you guys to bless so many.
Love and Prayers, Denise
http://denisemouse.livejournal.com/

Anonymous said...

This amazing, God-loving, beautiful person is MY daughter. I'm so proud, I could burst! God is too good to me, too!