Sunday, April 26

Before we moved to Guatemala, I had been a runner, but I'd only done a 5K race and a couple of 10k Turkey Trots. That all changed when I started running with what we affectionately call the "IDC Running Club" (Iglesia Del Camino). There is just nothing like running here...we have experienced puffing volcanoes, attacking bees, dead animals on the road (from huge pigs, to snakes of every size, to a bat, and everything in between), rain, speeding chicken buses, and more. 
We have seen the mountains from every angle, in every light, cloud-topped or clear, sun-dappled or hazy. We have passed people walking or riding their bikes to the market, to work, to their villages, and when we see some of those people walking without shoes, it is a reminder of how blessed we are, and how much more there is to do here.
We have pushed our bodies to their limits and experienced the highs of meeting new goals, crossing new finish lines.
But today was the best run I've ever had, because it was the first time Nate and I got to run in his first race together. He'd been asking for months if he could do a race, and today was his day to take part in a 5K in Guatemala City. I can't even express how proud I am of him. He ran his first race in a foreign country, on a course that was fairly hot and hilly, and he was amazing! He didn't complain, and when he started to get worn out and I gave him the good ol' "Mom peptalk," he listened, and then I could hear him telling himself, "I can do this. I can do this."
We sprinted over the finish line together....I hope there are many more finish lines to come.
Oh yeah---and even though the course was mismeasured (happens all the time here!), so that the 3 miles was actually almost 4, he finished the race in 35:54, having only done ONE training run. I'm gonna have to step it up!
Thanks, Nate, for a wonderful day!




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nate & Jessica, We are so proud of you! Thanks for the pictures. Meemaw & Poppy

Lisa said...

Congratulations Nate! Way to stay the course and finish the race!
Blessings - Lisa

Mrs. Jackie Sue said...

We're so prud of you too Nate! Good encouragement MOM too! WOW I got teary-eyed reading this because i can only imagine what it was like (prego hormones too). So exciting you two!!! And the whole IDC Running Team! Woo Hoo!!!

*HUGS*
Jackie and family

Gabe Thaman said...

Way to go Nate! I'm still shocked at how well he did. What an awesome "first race" experience.