Friday, September 28

Admiration

There are moments in life when time stops. Sometimes it's tragedy, at other times it is inspiration or awe. In a child, there are so many moments of wonder, amazement. Nothing matters but that instant in time, and the particular treasure they have discovered. It's usually something insignificant...something so mundane that adults never notice. But kids don't miss it.

It was like a wrestling match trying to get our 8 year old son, Nate, to remember to read his Bible each morning. "Gotta start the day right", "Let God talk to you" we told him. But we missed something. To a child, wonder and amazement at an awesome God does not start with words. It starts with something tangible...inspiring. A few days ago, Nate decided he would get up at 6:30 and go on the back porch to watch the sun rise. He ran in a few minutes later, talking a hundred miles an hour about the stars, Venus, and that he had to get his book on constellations. I followed him outside and was amazed at the number of stars we could still see just before sunrise. I pointed out Orion, Jupiter, and we couldn't believe how bright Venus was.

I went back inside to finish my own "quiet time", you know, reading, prayer, etc. Nate ran back in a few minutes later...."Dad, Dad, there are bats flying around, you gotta see this!". "In a minute" I told him. He's just a kid, and kids just can't seem to understand how important listening to God is, and I knew I'd join him in a few minutes.

Moments later, he ran back in again... "Dad, you GOTTA see this sun rise! The sun is just starting to shine through the trees!". "I'll be right there" I told him. Apparently, another fib, because I was REALLY getting into something good in Habbakthaniah or somewhere.

About 5 minutes later he came in again... "Dad, you MISSED it... why didn't you come outside?" His words dropped off in disappointment. I stood there, running the tape of the morning over in my mind. Why did I keep putting him off? Why was a concept of God that I was reading more important than an actual interaction with Him? With His creation? With one of His children?

The last few days, Nate has been up each morning at 6:30 sharp. No one has to remind him to read his Bible. He comes bounding down the stairs, races to the porch, and drags the plastic chair out into the grass so he can get as close as he can to the to the magic of the morning. In between events, he reads a little, talks to God in amazement, and jumps out of his chair when the next lizard, bat, bird, or star makes its appearance. I admire him... God used my own son to teach me how to "be still, and know that I am God"...how to be amazed not just by what He says, but by what He's doing...how to REALLY listen to him. Thank you Nate!


~ Steve

1 comment:

Christine & Mark Dries said...

Because we do not have children, this small reminder will inspire us to stop (ok, maybe not quite at 6:30am) and take in God's gift, and our own quiet time together. Thanks Nate !

Mark & Christine